Palazzo Vecchio was built in 1293 to be the seat of Signoria, the Florentine political government. The central nucleos of the building was erected by Arnolfo di Cambio (1299-1304). The tower was made on the base of another precedent build, that explain because it’s not at the exact centre of build. The palace was enlarged by Vasari in 16th century, and than by Buontalenti in 1600s. When Medicis assumed the power, they moved in Palazzo Vecchio. The palace, after be seat of provisional governments in 1848 and in 1859, housed the Chamber of Deputies and the Foreign Milistry from 1865 to 1871, when Florence was capital of Italy. It has been the seat of the municipal authorities since 1872. Palazzo Vecchio’s most famous room is Salone dei Cinquecento in which is possible to admire works of Simone del Pollaiolo, Vasari, Giambologna, Michelangelo. Also Leonardo da Vinci begun a fresco (Anghiari’s Battle) in this room, but he never finished it, and we have no traces about it. There is a legend about this paining. Leonardo da Vinci have to paint it in a certamen with Michelangelo. He used a new experimental technique, which appear immediately wrong. The paint start to destroy itself wile Leonardo is painting it, but, legend said, it could be still hide under a Vasari fresco which show a little flag with the written “Cerca, Trova” (look for, find) (Mt. 7,7).
1565 is the year of the wedding of Francesco dei Medici, the Gran Duke Cosimo I son, and Giovanna d’Austria. Cosimo I had just bought Palazzo Pitti, for make it the now house of Madici’s Family, and he felt the necessity to build a passage which permitted him to arrive from home to the Parliament without passing from the street. It was become, in fact, too dangerous for Madici’s Family cross the crowed Ponte Vecchio a good place for an attacks. Taking the occasion of wedding, the Grand Duck ask to Vasari to build the passage which was completed by Vasari himself in 6 months. The Corridor was decorate with a long collections of portraits. To visit the corridor is necessary to book in advance. In any case is possible follow the corridor by outside on the top of Old Bridge.
In 1250 the order of “Servi di Maria” began the build of a small oratory in the same place in which a first group of people dedicated their life at the service of God and poor people. This group put himself under the protection of the Virgin, and dedicated the church at the Annunciation. The oratory was transformed in a church few years after is foundation. During its life, the church has undergone many alterations. From the most famous artists who worked to the different church changing, it’s possible remember Michelozzo, who designed the cloister in 15th century and Leon Battista Alberti. The church assumed its present form in 1476.
There is a legend about SS. Annunziata Church. In 1252 a certain Bartolomeo had to paint a fresco about the annunciation to the Virgin. He painted the fresco, but when the arrived at the Maria’s face he fall in trouble, because he felt himself too inadequate. Whit this thinks he felt to sleep. When we waked up the fresco was finished by an angel hand.
The Story of Santa Croce church began in 1220th when the Friars Minor established themselves in a oratory dedicated to the Holy Cross.
In 1294 the architect Arnolfo di Cambio was responsible for the construction of a new bigger, church, the one, with some changes, that we can admire now.
In this church was put the Cimabue’s Crucifix, that was moved into the close museum, after the 1966’s alluvium. In Santa Croce church is possible find art treasures by the main artists like Giotto, Brunelleschi, Michelozzo, and their schools, and with the Counter-Reformation period also Vasari end Bronzino just for named some. Visiting the church is not possible not be touch by the great quantity of monumental tomb. It’s possible find (some times a bit hide) the burial place of (from other): Michelangleo, Galileo, Rossini, Alfieri, Leonardo Bruni, Galileo Galilei, Machiavelli, Marconi, and Ugo Foscolo, who called this church “the shire of Italy glories”. Into the church there is also an empty funeral monument to Dante Alighieri.
In 1299 there was laid the first stone of a church and monastery by the Silvestrine monks. The church, dedicated to St Mark the Evangelist, was made up an old 1200th oratory. The church, consectrated in 1300, take still now part of this period (es. the Annunciation, entering, on your right) The convent and the church was finally assigned to the Domenicans in 1418. They began to recontruct the church, which was in terrible condictions, in 1437. The Medici family, have a great part in this work, before with Cosimo il Vecchio en then with his grandson Lorenzo il Magnifico. They give the directions of works at the architect Michelozzo, who also built the convente Library. Here, the fist library in modern time to open to the general public, was conserved the Greek and Latin codices of the humanist Niccolò Niccolini. Medicis also give to Beato Angelico the convent painting job. Also now is possible to admire it’s divine stile, the same who make him the appellative of “Angelico” (like an Angel). At the end of Magnifico’s period Fra’Gerolamo Savonarola was guest of San Marco convent. In 1580 the interior of San Marco received a new changed, following the Counter-reformation spirit. To mention the new Gianbologna’s altar. The last modification of the church structure is made by Pierfrancesco Silvani in 1678. In this period the church assumed its present appearance.